At the conclusion of W.W.II, the Brooklyn-based Lewyt Corporation, manufacturer of industrial components, under the direction of President Alex Lewyt, entered the vacuum industry with a vacuum product they had been manufacturing for the Navy during the war. From 1947 - 1948, Lewyt sold over 100,000 units, joining the 20 other manufacturers competing for market share. Lewyt launched an aggressive advertising program utilizing radio, television, newspapers, magazines, and billboards, all selling the new Lewyt cleaners. Realizing vacuums must be demonstrated to be sold, he introduced a demonstration display unit called the Market Place. It included carpeting for demonstration and shelving to hold attachments, and artificial dirt used in the presentation. In 1960, after an impressive start, Lewyt changed directions, and sold the vacuum company to Shetland Floor Polisher Company who changed the name to Shetland Lewyt.
1994 Vacuum & Sewing Hall of Fame Inductee