H. A. Glass
H. A. Glass, owner and president of Texas Sewing Machine Distributors, Inc., Fort Worth, Texas, began his sewing machine career in 1937. He worked two years for the Singer Sewing Machine Company, and at the end of the second year started his own retail store.
With the possibility of the United States being involved sooner or later in World War II, he began to buy all the used sewing machines he could purchase, buying the machines from the PWA sewing rooms in the Fort Worth and Dallas area. During World War II, revenue was generated mostly by renting and repairing sewing machines, as no new machines were available.
After the war and before new sewing machines were manufactured, activity in the sewing machine business was largely rebuilding machines and offering them for sale. As new machines finally began to come on the market, he elected to operate a regional distributing business featuring the new Necchi and Elna machines from Europe. As other machines came on the market, he elected to distribute machines and parts nationally for both family and industrial sewing machines, and later, importing his own sewing machines, both family and industrial, expanding his business to its present day operation.
1994 Vacuum & Sewing Hall of Fame Inductee